Issue Number: Tax Tip 2023-20
Many taxpayers know about the IRS Free File program, which lets people who make less than $73,000 file their federal tax return for free. They should also be sure to check if the program offers no cost filing for their state tax return. IRS Free File can help millions of eligible taxpayers in more than 20 states file both a free federal and free state tax return.
The states included in the IRS Free File program are:
• District of Columbia
• Mississippi • Montana
• New York
• North Carolina
• North Dakota
• Rhode Island
• South Carolina
• West Virginia
Here are a few things to know about filing state tax returns through Free File:
- The income limit is $73,000 for IRS Free File.
- Taxpayers must complete their federal tax return before starting their state return if they are using the same software for both.
- Not all IRS Free File partners offer free state return filing, and those that do may not offer it for all states.
- Some IRS Free File partners will charge a fee for state tax return preparation. If a taxpayer uses the IRS Free File online lookup tool to find an offer from a Free File provider, they should carefully review the offer to see if state returns are included for free or with a fee.
- Alaska, Florida, New Hampshire, Nevada, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and Wyoming don’t have a state income tax, but taxpayers can still use IRS Free File to electronically file their federal tax return.
Some states have their own free filing options for state returns. Taxpayers can visit their home state’s department of revenue website for details.
IRS issues guidance on state tax payments to help taxpayers
Share this tip on social media — #IRSTaxTip: Many taxpayers may be able to file their state tax return using IRS Free File. http://ow.ly/cL5h50MTa7n
End of IRS Publication
Zaher Fallahi, Tax CPA, and Tax Defense Attorney, assists taxpayers nationwide with their tax preparation, cryptocurrency tax, foreign gifts, undisclosed foreign bank accounts, and other international tax matters. Tel.: (310) 719-1040, (714) 546-4272 and (877) 687-7558 toll free nationwide. Websites: zflegal.com and zfcpa.com E-mail [email protected]