Blog‎ > ‎

Which Tax Form is Best for You?

posted Jan 22, 2016, 11:27 PM by Zaher Fallahi

This tax filing season, get things off to a good start. Make it easy on yourself and let the software you use to  e-file  select the proper tax form for you. E-Filing is the easiest way to file a complete and accurate return. The tax software asks questions at each step and minimizes errors. E-file also helps you get the tax credits and deductions that you are entitled to claim. Brand-name software is also free when you use IRS Free File on



Here are some tips to help you choose the right forms: You generally use Form 1040EZ if:

1) Your taxable income is less than $100,000;

2) Your filing status is single or married filing jointly;

3) You don’t claim any dependents; and

4) Your interest income is $1,500 or less.


Note: You can’t use Form 1040EZ to claim the Premium Tax Credit. Nor can you use this form if you received advance payments of the premium tax credit in 2015.


Form 1040A may be used if:

1) Your taxable income isles than $100,000;

2) You have capital gain distributions;

3) You claim some tax credits; and

4) You claim adjustments to income for IRA contributions and student loan interest.


You must use the Form 1040 if:

1) Your taxable income is $100,000 or more;

2) You itemize deductions;

3) You have self-employment income; or

4) You report income from sale of a property.


Zaher Fallahi, CPA, MS, provides tax services to clients including Americans living abroad with their tax controversies regarding OVDP, FBAR, FATCA and tax audit.  Telephones: (310) 719-1040 (Los Angeles), (714) 546-4272 (Orange County), e-mail [email protected]