Blog‎ > ‎

If you live abroad, you may exclude $97,600 from your 2013 income under “Foreign Earned Income Exclusion”

posted Jun 4, 2014, 10:24 PM by Zaher Fallahi

If you meet certain requirements, you may qualify for the foreign earned income and foreign housing exclusions and the foreign housing deduction.

If you are a U.S. citizen or a resident alien of the United States and you live abroad, you are taxed on your worldwide income. However, you may qualify to exclude from income up to an amount of your foreign earnings that is adjusted annually for inflation ($91,500 for 2010, $92,900 for 2011, $95,100 for 2012, and $97,600 for 2013). In addition, you can exclude or deduct certain foreign housing amounts.

You may also be entitled to exclude from income the value of meals and lodging provided to you by your employer. Refer to Exclusion of Meals and Lodging in Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad, and Publication 15-B, Employer's Tax Guide to Fringe Benefits for more information.

For purposes of the foreign earned income exclusion, the foreign housing exclusion, and the foreign housing deduction, foreign earned income does not include any amounts paid by the United States or any of its agencies to its employees. This includes amounts paid from both appropriated and nonappropriated funds. Also, if you are a U.S. Government employee paid by a U.S. agency that assigned you to a foreign government to perform specific services for which the agency is reimbursed by the foreign government, your pay is from the U.S. Government and does not qualify for exclusion or deduction.

Can I Claim the Exclusion or Deduction?   Tax Home In A Foreign Country    Bona Fide Resident test   Physical Presence Test  Exceptions to Tests    Figuring The Exclusion   Choosing The Exclusion Revocation  Which Form to File    Foreign Housing Exclusion or Deduction    Individual Retirement Arrangements  Extension to Claim Foreign Earned Income Exclusion     Application of Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and the Combat Zone Exclusion to Civilian Contractors Working in Combat Zones (PDF

For assistance with tax preparation, tax planning, IRS representation, disclosing undeclared foreign bank accounts (offshore voluntary disclosure program, OVDP), report of foreign bank & financial accounts (FBAR, Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), contact  Zaher Fallahi, Tax Attorney, CPA at (310) 719-1040 (Los Angeles), ( 714) 546-4272 (Orange County) or e-mail : [email protected]